“This tour has everything, history, adventure, nature, not to mention the different kinds of fitness classes and of course the much welcomed massages.”
Mark B – Atlanta, GA
Walking – The journey upward
The program’s main physical challenge will focus on the daily intensive walking tours. You will walk between 5 and 10 miles per day through some of the world’s most spectacular surroundings, from mountain regions, volcanoes and canyons, to rainforests filled with wildlife, to ancient and modern city streets. It’s not just a walk, it’s an exploration.
Yoga – The journey inward
FIT Tours begin each day with an hour of yoga. We see yoga as a powerful bridge to a better attitude and outlook, more serenity and tranquility, more flexibility and strength, and a higher quality of life in general.
By balancing body, feelings, and thoughts, you become more aware of your surroundings, and you make better choices. Yoga is a process for achieving this balance. The purpose of all yoga is the union of body, feelings and thoughts, and in that oneness, lies our freedom.
Resistance & functional training – The journey outward
This is an educational process in which we move away from the antiquated system of grueling weight lifting. Instead, we focus on mobility and stability exercises, muscle toning, improved range of movement, core stability and correct breathing. With the correct training equipment and resistance exercises, you will learn to strengthen and lengthen each muscle and to ensure correct posture, fluid movement, core stability and maximization of your physical potential.
Core training: The key to strength is developing a strong “core” or center of the body. One method is the art of Pilates to strengthen that core. Pilates dramatically transforms the way your body looks, feels and performs. It builds strength without excess bulk, creating a sleek, toned body. It teaches body awareness, good posture and easy, graceful movement. Pilates improves flexibility, stability, agility and economy of motion. No matter what your age or condition, it will work for you. Pilates is a safe, sensible exercise system that will help you look and feel your very best.
- Builds strength without “bulking up”
- Increases flexibility and agility
- Develops optimal core control
- Creates flat abdominals, slender thighs and a strong back
- Offers a refreshing mind-body workout
- Is challenging yet safe
Bodyworks: These classes use various resistance and repetition training techniques to improve muscular strength and endurance. They develop muscle definition and elevate the body’s metabolism by increasing lean muscle mass. The benefits of strength training programs are well known: increases in muscle size and tone, increased muscle, tendon, bone and ligament strength, increased physical performance, improved metabolic efficiency, decreased risk of injury and psychological benefits such as increased self esteem, improved body image, energy and improved mood.
Aquafit: (select destinations): Aquatic fitness is a wonderful complement to our other fitness routines, combining aspects of strength, core, stability, balance, resistance and functional training. The buoyancy of the water reduces weight bearing stress, which allows you to move more easily while working. Because of this buoyancy and the fact that about 85 to 90 percent of your body is covered in water during a workout, there is less strain on your bones, joints, and muscles. Because the water is so dense, it creates a resistance that tones and strengthens your muscles. The harder you work against the water, the greater resistance you will have, thus increasing the benefits of an aquatic fitness routine. This is a great fitness program for people of all ages and fitness levels.
Stretching Clinics: One of the greatest benefits of stretching is that you’re able to increase your range of motion, which means your limbs and joints can move further before an injury occurs. Post-exercise stretching can also aid in workout recovery, decrease muscle soreness, and ensure that your muscles and tendons are in good working order. The more conditioned your muscles and tendons are, the better they can handle the rigors of sport and exercise, and the less likely that they'll become injured.
When done properly, stretching exercises can do more than just increase flexibility. Benefits of stretching include:
- Enhanced physical fitness
- Enhanced ability to learn and perform skilled movements
- Increased mental and physical relaxation
- Enhanced development of body awareness
- Reduced risk of injury to joints, muscles, and tendons
- Reduced muscular soreness
- Reduced muscular tension
- Increased suppleness due to stimulation of the production of chemicals which lubricate connective tissues
After our daily intensive walking programs and adventures, stretching is a must both for recovery and to get you ready for the next day’s activities. You will find that daily stretching is one of the most important lifetime routines. Be kind to your muscles and they will be kind to you!
Indoor Cycling: (Select destinations): Indoor cycling is a form of high-intensity exercise that involves using a stationary exercise bicycle in a classroom setting. Instructors guide classes by mentioning what level of exertion a participant should be at. A typical class involves a single instructor at the front of the class who leads the participants in a number of different types of cycling routines designed to simulate terrain and situations encountered in actual bicycle rides, including hill climbs, sprints and interval training. The instructor uses music and enthusiastic coaching to motivate the students to work harder.
Physical benefits of indoor cycling
- Weight loss
- Increased energy levels
- Stronger heart and lungs
- Decreased risk for heart disease
- Increased bone density
- Better sleep
- Improved cholesterol and triglyceride levels
Mental & emotional benefits of indoor cycling
The benefits of indoor cycling are not limited to physical aspects; cycling bike workouts can do wonders for your mind, as well:
- Relief from stress and anxiety
- Eases symptoms of depression (as with all exercise)
- Increased confidence about appearance
- Improved ability to visualize and focus on a goal
Advantages of indoor cycling exercise vs. other forms of cardio
There are many reasons why indoor cycling is considered to be one of the most effective and enjoyable exercises; in many cases, cycling rates even higher than other types of activities, including step aerobics, running, or kickboxing.
- Appropriate, challenging and rewarding for all ages and fitness levels
- There are no complicated moves, techniques, or choreography to master.
- Indoor cycling is a non-impact activity, and causes less stress on knees, hips and ankles than many other forms of cardio.
- Participants report that it is the most fun and enjoyable workout they have experienced, and that time seems to pass more quickly than with other forms of cardio which may be monotonous or boring.
Physical and mental indoor cycling benefits:
- Superior cardiovascular workout (both aerobic and anaerobic) strengthens the heart and helps lower resting heart rate.
- Indoor cycling exercise provides a great way to tone the glutes, quads and hamstrings.
- Stabilizers and core muscles of the body get a good workout during the sitting and standing positions, which helps encourage good posture in everyday life.
- Weight loss goals are reached more quickly, because a rider burns 700 plus calories in one hour indoor cycling session.
- Indoor cycling exercise is a great way to release stress and work off tension from your day.
- The visualization cues provided as you ride through a workout “terrain” helps sharpen mental focus.
FIT takes advantage of the spectacular natural environments at many of our destinations to offer you numerous exciting outdoor adventures using them as an exciting and effective addition to our physical fitness regimen. Adventures may include including hiking, kayaking, whitewater rafting and wildlife tours.
Education & Knowledge
Our guides have a unique connection to our tour destinations. They are naturalists and historians whose purpose is to educate participants in an engaging, informative and fun approach, allowing our guests the ability to truly experience and learn the regions we travel.
Your massage is an essential part of keeping your body running at its optimal performance. Because of the physical activity during a FIT Tour, our specially trained massage therapists are there for you, to promote relaxation, relieve muscle tension and prepare you for the next day’s activities.
Our evening programs are unique, entertaining and inspiring—the perfect way to end your day. Evening events may include meditation, Qigong, sightseeing or engaging speakers. A few evenings will be set aside for personal reflection or for sitting back and relaxing while you share conversations with new friends